A Mamalicious Recipe
As promised, this is my mom’s vinaigrette recipe. It’s actually pretty flexible, you can include the mustard, vinegar and herb of your choice to get different flavour profiles, with the same basic proportions for the base:
1 teaspoon of mustard : 1 tablespoon vinegar : 3 tablespoon olive oil
I will share with you here just one example of how we make it at our house, try this out and from here you can make it your own. We use the apple cider vinegar to stretch out the slightly more expensive balsamic vinegar – use all balsamic if you want, or all apple cider, or any vinegar you prefer. Seriously, this is really the basic recipe and it can be tweaked a million ways over and will still be delicious.
- 3 tsp French mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or other dried or fresh herb of choice – mixed herbs, basil and dill come to mind as tasty alternatives, depending on your salad/protein)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 12 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin of course is best but I believe in going for the best you can afford)
- Grab a small bowl or measuring jug for easy pouring, and measure out everything but the olive oil. Stir this together so that it is mixed well.
- Then add the olive oil slowly, mixing along the way, to get some emulsification going along or else it won't get mixed up well later. Pour it out into your container of choice, and keep in the fridge if not using immediately.